Tuesday, January 30, 2007

China

The day after we came back from Taiwan, we headed of to China to visit the rest of Andy's relatives. Let's just say it was quite the adventure...just makes me even more grateful that we live in America. It also makes me LOVE my house even more!! I don't mind the fact that China is a little bit dirtier or the squatter toilets. However, I don't think I could ever get use to taking a shower standing above the toilet. It just gives me the chills. Other then that, it was great meeting everybody. Also, everyone was very nice. We had our own room to stay in and they had even bought a new bed for Andy and I to sleep in. I thought that was very generous of them.

Anyway, we were in China from Friday night until Monday noon time. Here's a brief overview of our trip:

Friday: We go to the border around 3:30 pm and walk from Macao to China. We then take the bus to Lat Lau and arrive there around 8 or 8:30 pm. We eat dinner, talk and then go to bed.

Saturday: We went to go Yam Cha in the morning and then just hung out at the house. Around 5 or 6 pm we did the Tea Ceremony then went to eat dinner. It was fun because I got to meet several of Andy's cousins. The 2 girl cousins spoke Mandarin so I was able to talk to them. It was also interesting to watch everybody. They aren't members so drinking wine and tea at the table was common. Luckily, nobody drunk too much. :)

Sunday: Went to visit Andy's other relatives in Shui Cheng. We went there to specifically to visit his grandpa in the hospital. He seems to be doing pretty well. I think they said that he would be home for Chinese New Year. That night, we went to eat dinner to celebrate. This time it was only 1 table, but it was still interesting to watch everyone. I guess in China, drinking wine and smoking is the only way to do business.

Monday: Hang out with family and then took the bus back to the Macao border. We then went shopping in the underground mall to buy stuff. Everything was sooo cheap and there was soo much to see! Too bad my visa only let me go to China once or we could have gone again on another day.

Anyway, that's basically it. I'm glad to be back in Macao and to be able to use a clean bathroom. :)

1 comment:

dots said...

Reminds me of the trips we made to visit Grandma at her old and new house! We are very blessed and spoiled here in the US. Can't wait to talk with you when you get home!!