Saturday, September 22, 2007

London Day 2

After a great night sleep, we had another day full of adventure! Here's a recap of what we did:

Buckingham Palace:
This morning we went to tour Buckingham Palace. We had wanted to see the changing of the guards, but with the tour, we would have missed it. So, we'll have to do that on Monday. Anyway, the palace was really pretty! I can't imagine living in such a big place by myself. Plus, it was definitely way too fancy for me. I really enjoyed it though..plus, they even had a room that showed Queen Elizabeth's wedding dress and all kinds of wedding jewelry. It was really pretty! Everything looked soo expensive. The room was also really crowded and I wished they had some sort of crowd control for the room but at least we got to see everything. It also probably didn't help that someone fainted in the room. We had to avoid half of the room for a while so the medics could help the person. I think the person was okay though so that was good. During the tour, you're not allowed to take pictures until you are outside in the garden area....that was at the very end of the tour. The area was huge and pretty. I'm glad I don't need to be a ground keeper for them though, it would take FOREVER!

Houses of Parliament:
After Buckingham Palace, we grabbed a hotdog and rushed off to Parliament. Again, we weren't allowed to take pictures. But, the building was gorgeous! The chamber area for the house of the lordes area seemed to be more glorious then the Buckingham Palace. In fact, it use to be a palace too. Anyway, there was a lot more detailing and the ceilings were a lot higher...not sure how to explain it but that's how I felt. The house of commons area was more plain. The tour was really interesting though and it was fun to learn about how the government worked.

These are the 2 big tours we did. After we were done, we walked around the river area and saw lots of fun little things. It was fun to be a part of the culture in London. We also visited the Imperial War museum really quick before we met up with our friend Rebecca for dinner. We ate at some indian restaurant on a street called Brick Lane...it's suppose to be a really popular place to eat and we soon found out why. It was ftons of fun because every restaurant tried to recruit customers by offering all sorts of discounts. Our friend told us that the very first ones aren't very good and the ones further down the street were better. So, after we got to a place that she knew was good, the guy offered us a 25% discount, free drinks, and a free appetizer. Our friend was smart enough to make sure the drinks could include the smoothie. YUMMY! Too bad they don't do this in the states. :)

Anyway, that's basically it for today. We've done a lot of walking the past 2 days and my feet are tired, but we're having a blast!! I'll have to post pics later. :)

4 comments:

dots said...

Hey sis!! So envious that you are in ENGLAND!! How fun...you'll have to check your email...I was hoping you could ask your connections at Mayo for....

Allison said...

Wow Tanya! I'm amazed to read that you are in London!! I guess I don't pay attention very well...I had no idea you were going there! Enjoy your trip and keep writing the details so I can imagine myself there, too! :) Have fun!

Heckachan said...

Woah, when was this trip planned?? When you realized you could fly to England for the same price as flying to Kennewick? Hope you guys are having fun!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so jealous! Right now you are touring my favorite place on earth. Remember I studied there for a semester? Jake and I went back 4 years or so ago. It is beautiful! Anyways, make sure you do Covent Gardens in the day so you can see the street acts. They might be only weekend acts, but I am pretty sure they go through the week. Jake and I are planning to have a summer flat there when we can afford it! Have fun and keep up the good stories, it is bringing back fun memories!