Friday, September 15, 2006

Joining Special Interest Groups

Since moving here to Rochester, I've gotten to know several of the members by joining groups. When I first got here, I joined the recipe group. Each month, 3 or 4 sisters are in charge of the group. They choose a theme and they prepare the dishes for us to try-basically, it's a dinner because so much food gets prepared. Then we get a copy of the recipes. It's a great way to get recipes and to be able to try new things. This month will be a Halloween theme. I'm excited to see what types of food they will have. :)

Last month, I joined the book club and we read a book called The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. I guess several people were required to read this book in high school..but I had never heard of it.

Pearl Buck offers a view of China during the reign of the last Emporer as seen through the eyes of a honest farmer namd Wang Lung. She does a really good job of taking you through the ups and downs of life that the farmer experiences. I really enjoyed this book...once I started reading it, I didn't want to stop. The book was rich in culture and in history...I also got mad at the main character too because of the choices he was making...I don't want to mention the details because I think it's a book everyone should read... :) This month, we are reading a book called Once Upon a Town. I'll give an update on that when I'm done.

I've also joined the Gourmet Club. Basically, this is the LDS version of an interest group at Mayo Clinic. Basically, you have about 4 couples (those with kids usually leave them at home with a babysitter) assigned to a group and a family will be the host. There's a set menu with the recipe and each couple chooses what they want to make. Then, you decide what day to get together and everyone brings the assigned dish. I thought it sounded like fun. Saturday night will be the first time and I'm in charge of making a Key Lime Pie and --if I dare try-- a French Silk Pie. I'll have to let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

Allison said...

Good for you, Tanya! I'm still serving in RS with Enrichment and that is exactly what those groups were designed to be for...help people get to know each other and learn new skills etc. Good luck with the pies!

Heckachan said...

hey tanya, thanks for the book recommendation. i just picked up a new book last week from the bookstore, but i'll be sure to read The Good Earth next!

Julia said...

Hahaha! Good luck!! Sounds like great fun!

Lynn & Tim said...

Hey Guys so how's the east coast treatin ya? Guess wat we're living at Union Square. Didn't you two lived there? Well we're loving it!

Anonymous said...

haha.. have fun reading it..
i had to read it for school..

-Brenda